SC - Deutsche Kochbücher

Thomas Gloning gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Thu Feb 24 09:21:41 PST 2000

Johann said:
<<... which turned out to be a cookbook of monastic
cuisine dating from the mid 14thc. through to the (temporary)
dissoulution of the house in 1840 ...>>

I spoke to the pater librarian of Metten Abbey. He will look for the
book and tell me more about it. But it might take two weeks.

<<... having recently heard that Einsendeln Abbey in
Switzerland was going to publish their monatic cookbook entitled '1,000
years of monastic cooking'.>>

I spoke to the pater librarian of Einsiedeln Abbey. He said that they
only have one 17th/18th manuscript from Austria. He knew nothing about
plans of publishing such a work. However, he said that a few weeks ago,
a lady from Zuerich was there to take photos from this manuscript. Could
be that _she_ is working on a projekt '1000 years of monastic cooking'.

<<... or had any other leads on monastic cooking practices.>>

- -- there are books, e.g.: Norman Foster, Schlemmen hinter Klostermauern.
Die unbekannten Quellen europäischer Kochkunst, Hamburg 1980 (translated
from the American; no title mentioned). -- Erna Horn: Köstliches und
Curieuses aus alten Kloster- und Pfarrküchen. München 1979. (She used
also non-monastic material!)
- -- Several early manuscripts were monastic cookbooks, at least they were
written or found in a monastery; in addition there are food calendars,
giving the menu for the different parts of the year, e.g. the "Kalender
und Kochbüchlein aus Tegernsee", published by Birlinger.

Best,
Thomas