SC - Coffee, Tea, and OOP

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 26 21:54:21 PST 2000

Brandu wrote:
>I know that in (very late) period, that at least some Native American peoples
>had a "black drink" that was made from treebark, and from the description
>of effects, it was probably caffeinated.
>
>It is described several times in Elizabethan accounts of voyages to America.

It's been a long time since i studied Native American cultures, but
as i recall, the Black Drink was used in the American
South/Southeast, IIRC by Cherokee and Seminole, and was a purgative
taken before spiritual journeys. It stimulated your... peristaltic
reaction, it was ummm, cleansing, and much more strongly so than the
diuresis of coffee.

Here's a webpage with a bit of information, including its herbal
source, Yaupon Holly (Ilex vomitoria):
http://pelotes.jea.com/blackdrnk.htm
E. Dale Joyner Nature Preserve at Pelotes Island, Florida

What i learned in class was that it was made of more than one herb,
but perhaps its composition varied from place to place or... The
author of the page has some remarks about this, too.

And it appears to be related to Yerba Maté, Ilex Paraguayensis, a
popular (and not emetic) drink in Paraguay and other countries in
southern South America.

But, wait! There's more!

The Schaffer Library on Drug Policy
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/library/studies/cu/CU21.html
says:
Cassina -also known as yaupon, as the Christmas berry tree, and as
the North American tea plant - was found in common use as the source
of a caffeine beverage among Indians from Virginia to Florida and
west along the Gulf coast to the Rio Grande. It was reported at the
time that "none [of] the Indians but their great Men and Captains,
who have been famous for their great Exploits of War and Noble
Actions, are admitted to the use of this noble Bevaridge." White
settlers in these regions prepared a tea known as the "Black Drink,"
"Black Draught," or dahoon, from the same plant; they also let the
leaves ferment to produce a drink containing both alcohol and
caffeine.

During the Civil War, when the South was under blockade so that
supplies of coffee and tea were cut off, cassina again became a
popular beverage in the Confederacy. During and after World War 1,
when coffee prices soared, Congress and the United States Department
of Agriculture launched projects to popularize cassina as a
substitute source of caffeine; cassina-flavored ice cream and cassina
soft drinks as well as cassina teas were marketed.

- ----- end quote -----

(by the way, this page is footnoted, if you're interested in pursuing
the info further)

So, who's making the Ilex vomitoria ice cream for Pennsic this year?

Anahita al-shazhiyya