SC - No Period Feasts Allowed?

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 26 22:27:21 PST 2000

If I may speak from this example, much of the offerings in response to
the Princess's missive have seemed to be hatched in anger.  I would
posit that the one true and honorable way to deal with this issue is to
speak directly to the lady in some fashion.  It may be a letter or a
personal conversation, but it would be the best way.

To simply ignore her request and cook whatever we want is rude and
openly defiant; not exactly the message we want to send from our
population of craftspeoaple and artisans.  It also begs the question we
are raising, that of authenticity, by ignoring the directive of our
seated royalty.  To 'take one's toys and go home' seems satisfying on
the surface and only ends up punishing one's self and the people we seek
to educate and guide to greater horizons.

Find ways to go between the horns of this dilemma if it cannot be
resolved with direct inquiry and discussion.  Several people have
suggested finding historical recipes that approximate modern
foodstuffs.  This solution meets the needs of the royal mandate as well
as ours to profess our craft as we see correctly.  We have to keep
educating the cooks who perform poorly or disastrously so we can avoid
more of these attitudes.  I understand that there is an atmosphere of
preferring modern or familiar foods in some parts of Trimaris.  It will
take patient and intentionally placed efforts to educate diners while
still meeting our obligation to provide value for their entertainment
dollars.

just musings before bed,

niccolo difrancesco