SC - No Period Feasts Allowed?

WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Sun Feb 27 05:53:11 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/27/00 1:29:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
grizly at mindspring.com writes:

<< I understand that there is an atmosphere of
 preferring modern or familiar foods in some parts of Trimaris.  It will
 take patient and intentionally placed efforts to educate diners while
 still meeting our obligation to provide value for their entertainment
 dollars. >>

You speak as if this is not an on-going process.  Believe me, the education
process has been going on for a long time here.  It is hampered by a
significant lack of Laurels who happen to be cooks.  The movement is
grassroots at best, but there are those who have been diligently striving
toward dispelling the period food=bad food myths for many years.  That which
doesn't kill me makes me stronger, but I've been around long enough not to
let it stop me.  It's the possible effect on fledglings that does bother me.
One step forward, then ten steps back bothers me.  Tarring all period cooks
with the same brush bothers me.  The unfairness of it bothers me.  People
seem to have the misconception that my feelings are hurt.  Lordy, couldn't be
farther from the truth.  I'm a calloused old veteran of the period cooking
wars, and my feelings aren't even involved in this.  My sense of just and
equitable treatment is bruised, given that once again, a sweeping
generalization from a crowned head has undone the work of many.  It's
happened before, it'll happen again, and nothing I say or do will change that
inevitability.  I've composed a letter to Her Highness, which will undergo
several editings before it's actually sent.  It's hard to be a nobody and
reach out to educate a somebody, but I can at least give it a try.

Walk in peace,
Wolfmom