SC - marsh mallow root

margali margali at 99main.com
Sun Feb 27 12:04:36 PST 2000

I could have sworn I chipped in with the version we did in outward
bound...

We took the roots of the mallows, and washed them really well, chopped
them coarsly and put them in a pot with water to cover. we simmered the
dadblasted thangs over very low heat for several hours, extracting the
juices from the really tough and fiberous roots. The root has a natural
demulcent quality that is very similar to psyllum husk, and gells up
nicely. we added honey and simmered it to reduce it down to a fairly
solid glop. It was sweet, sort of like gummi bears that have been
sitting on a radiator in texture and tasted-green. Not unpleasant, but
not hte sugary vanilla taste moderns are used to. I would assume in
period the egyptians used some sort of spices to flavor it? If making it
now, I would infuse it with some lemon or orange peel oil, and maybe a
touch of galengale and just the smallest bit of caraway...

It took a whopping full large enamel stockpot to make just a tiny
residue of goop, probably 1 gallon reduces down to a bout 2 cups of
glop. You could probably do the roll it in starch trick, or add rice
flour/spelt starch to solidify it and make it more like a jellybean or
gummi candy. Not at all like the pouffy airpuffed gelatin marshmallows
but good if you have a sweet tooth. I could definitely see it used for
upset tummies or sore throats, with its natural demulcent properties,
and the right herbals in the mix.
margali

I remember discussing marsh mallow roots on this list, but I could only
find one message in the Florilegium on this. I have pasted it below.
This message is from the candy-msg file in the FOOD-SWEETS section.
- --
Lord Stefan li Rous