SC - Recipe: Sweet and Sour Lamb

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Feb 27 21:37:13 PST 2000

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain said in reply to Mordonna:
> Thank you, m'lady.  One of the things I appreciate about this list is the
> opportunity to learn from skilled cooks.  I wil pick up some white wine
> vinegar and try it the next time a recipe calls for white vinegar (which
> many of the Spanish recipes do).

Yes, before I joined this list I had little knowledge of vinegars and
would probably have told you one was as good as another. Now, after
reading about vinegars here and how they are made, I view with interest
the dozen or more different vinegars for sale in my local grocery and
have even bought several different ones. Some, such as the red wine and
white wine vinegars are unfortunately much more expensive than the
apple cider ones. ;-(

Lady Brighid, it never occurred to me that you might not have been
aware of the different vinegars. I think this illustrates that even
the expert cooks here can often learn from these discussions.

Those interested in seeing some of the comments previously made here
on vinegars, might be interested in this file in the FOOD section of
the Florilegium:
vinegar-msg       (32K)  1/25/00    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.

PS: Some of the most recent HTML files in this section, including this
one, now have a new format. I hope folks like it. I would appreciate any
comments, pro or con, or suggestions for the future.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net