SC - Re: Distress in Trimaris

Joan Nicholson gryphon at carlsbadnm.com
Mon Feb 28 17:45:36 PST 2000

At 02:45 PM 2/28/2000 -0600, Gunthar wrote:

>Now when I first began this list I was of the "I feed 'em what they want
>
>to eat" crowd. I would make exotic food but 90% of the "Period" feasts
>I ever had were inedible. They were often done by artsy types who
>tried to show how artsy they were instead of cooks wanting to feed
>people.

This can be a HUGE problem...  The most unfortunate feast I ever attended
in 18 years, was put on by a number of enthusiastic folk who truly desired
to show the populace how tasty period recipes could be.  The food WAS
delicious, all 200 dishes.  The problem?  The good folk became so wrapped
up in authenticity, taste and numbers of different dishes that they forgot
that they had many people to feed.  The different removes were served
buffet-style in medium bowls and small platters on an attractive pyramid
display.  Most were gone after the first 75 or 80 people were served, the
remaining 120 or so folk had to make do with bits and pieces, bread and
cheese, because they only made one sample dish of each recipe.  If there
had been sufficient quantity of food, it would have been a triumph, as it
was, it was a major disappointment.

Prydwen

gryphon at carlsbadnm.com