SC - Feasts in Trimaris

Christi Rigby christirigby at pcisys.net
Tue Feb 29 08:07:15 PST 2000

Jehanne sent a very well though out post, in which I respond with the same
correspondence I have sent to there gentles in Trimaris with concerns.

This is taken directly from a letter I sent to the first gentleman that was
cross posted on this list from the Trimaris list.

But I have given long thought to this and I really would like you to see how
the artists (read here cooks) feel.  You live in a very hot area.  How the
would the costumers of the Kingdom feel if a Crown decided that they should
make short skirts, and pants to help with the heat?  And some period things
ere okay at night, but if no one wanted to wear them that was ok too?

Or your calligraphers feel if the Crown said that the back log of scrolls
was too long and they were hard to read anyway, so instead of doing them by
hand, do them on the computer and then you can color them in after they are
printed?

Or how about the fighters, what if a Crown decided that it was too hot, and
the populace was bored with long tourneys, so all tournaments would now be
first blood.  First to strike a blow cleanly anywhere wins?

Or brewers and vintners, if the Crown decided for a reign that some period
alcohols were all right but others didn't taste so good, so instead of
bothering to bring alot of their works to event, why don't you just bring
some and pick up a 6 pack of Budweiser's and a 4 pack of coolers on the way
because people like them better anyway.

These are all hypothetical situation, but what has happened to the cooks in
your area is not.  Cooks, like me, feel that we not only do a duty to the
SCA, but we are artists with food.  And stifling our art for the sake of
being more modern and making more people happy is what upset the cooks
mostly, especially when , if done right, a period feast can please all.

Murkial