SC - Cuskeynoles

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Feb 1 23:29:22 PST 2000

Bernadette asked:
> I'm afraid I look like a real idiot, but somehow after 20 years
> of on and off participation in the SCA I NEVER even heard of
> cuskeynoles until I came to this maillist.  And seeing the
> commentary about them, I'm not sure if it's really safe to ask
> this... but...

The cuskynole thing is basically an inside joke here on this list.
There is little reason you should have heard the term before and even
less that you would know the hidden conotations and story behind it.

Basically there was a long, long discussion mostly between Master
Cariadoc and Master Adamantius. It seems that even though this is
one of the few recipes in the medieval books with an illustration,
those two still disagree on how to interpret the picture and
recipe. A number of the rest of us have no idea who is the correct one.

I have tried to put a summary of the discussions in this file in the
FOOD section of my Florilegium:
cuskynoles-msg    (12K)  9/16/99    A medieval fruit-filled pasta dish.

Had I put all the discussion in it would have been difficult to follow
and probably been 20 or 30 times larger.

> Just what the heck are these things supposed to be?  Don't answer
> on list, as I don't care to be berated for my stupidity
> publically, but could someone email me privately and explain so I
> can get the joke behind these posts?

I hope you don't mind me posting this to the list but I do not
consider your question stupid at all and it has been asked several
times before by folks new to the list. And I wanted others to also
have the info. And while some may regret my use of list bandwidth
for this, I doubt there are few, if any, who consider your asking
your question "stupid".
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net