SC - Help with 1650s+ info

Thu Feb 3 07:48:08 PST 2000

You need to check the Florilegium for the potato references and the general
trend of the discussion.

White potatoes were not in common use is Europe prior to the 18th Century.
They were known and the earliest recipes appear to be late period German.
IIRC, there was a potatoe soup recipe which was posted.

Since you are talking Elizabethean, white potatoes were probably introduced
to England by Drake on the voyage when he sacked Cartagena and restocked his
provisions there.  They may have been served as a curiousity at Elizabeth's
table, but they were primarily kept as horticultural curiosities and
ornamentals.

As a potato dish for an Elizabethean feast, I would consider sweet potatoes,
which were well known and were sold at market.  I haven't seen any recipes
for them, but they would probably have been prepared in a manner similar to
other root vegetables.

Bear