SC - 16th Century recipes a few questions.

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Fri Feb 4 16:43:13 PST 2000

funny, I just finished a kabinet [christmas present - I love holidays!]
and I found it to be a light, fruity and sweet wine. I probably consider
it sweet because it is "semi-dry" as I hate dry wines, and non-dry wines
do have a bit more sugar content than dry wines. Taste is a matter of
perception. I also found it too have very nice rounded fruity notes in
the taste. I consider it a dessert wine. I also love sauternes, but find
most sauternes to be cloyingly sweet. If that is what you consider to be
the only level of sweet to determine a dessert and or sweet wine, try
more comparison tasting...although it is possible that the marque of
kabinett you had was very dry. To me an auslese is about half as cloying
as a sauternes. Way too sweet to do other than sip it, not to have with
a coeur a la creme or other dessert!
margali

Kabinet is not a dessert wine IMHO.  It is light but
semi-dry.  You may be thinking of an auslese, which is
definitely sweet.

Huette