SC - Food In History

rachel mccormack rachel_lothian at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 07:26:53 PST 2000

<Does anyone put any credence in this author's work?
Is this author credible or is the book largely
sensationalist in its reporting of food history?>
Randall, I have the Penguin edition of this book (Food
in History by Reay Tannahill) that I bought in
Scotland. The book was first printed in 1973 and the
most recent re-print that I have seen was in 1995. As
I've only read the book through once I cannot, for
definite verify all of her scholarship but I have seen
her book being quoted as a reliable source in other
articles about food history. Also, judging by her
footnotes and her extensive bibliography, this is a
very serious study of food (I found it to be so at the
time of reading it, but I'm very much an amateur in
food history).
Thanks
Rachel McCormack
Barcelona, Spain