SC - Old Wives Cleaning

rachel mccormack rachel_lothian at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 07:35:08 PST 2000

<I don't know about vinegar, but salt and lemons is a
real popular
combination in the 'old wives' sort of cleaners>
I've also heard of people using ash. I saw this
mentioned in a nineteenth century Spanish cookbook and
a friend of mine from a village in Burgos told me that
her long-deceased Grandmother swore by ash, claiming
that it was much better than any of the bleaches and
disinfectants that she could buy in the shops.
Rachel McCormack
Barcelona, Spain