SC - RE: Help with 1650s + info: potatoes

Mon Feb 7 07:11:22 PST 2000

Tannahill is a survey work covering the world and millenia.  While I find it
an excellent starting point for research, the very nature of the work is
shallow for any particular foodstuff.  If Tannahill's comments are
footnoted, expanded in the chapter notes in the appendix, or reference the
bibliography, I tend to trust them.  Otherwise, they may be the author's
personal speculation.  The book is exceptionally worthwhile for its
bibliography.

There is conflicting evidence about the use of the potato in cooking and
there is confusion as to what is meant by the use of the word potato,
Solanum tuberosum or Ipomoea batatas.  The extent of the conflict leaves me
skeptical on any statements which can not be verified by primary sources.

As a small thought on the adoption of New World foods, I would recommend you
look at the art of Vincenzo Campi.  The Fruit Seller (circa 1580) shows
squash and what is probably a pumpkin.  It does not show maize or potatoes.
The Poultry Seller, which I beleive is an earlier work, shows a Central
American turkey.  The paintings were done in Cremona in Northern Italy, an
area which adopted New World food stuffs early.  The paintings are of food
stuffs sold in Northern Italy.  While there are other reasons maize and
potatoes might not be shown, it suggests that these may not have been
adopted as early as believed.  Of course, that is speculation on my part.

As for the white potato, there was a great deal of debate about it as food
for the poor in the 17th Century and there were forced plantings of potatoes
in various areas of Europe in the 18th Century.  This makes any general
statement on the wide-spread adoption and use of the potato suspect.

Enjoy the Tannahill.

Bear