SC - Spanish beer

Mon Feb 7 08:08:27 PST 2000

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, but things have been a little
hectic.

Grapes are more difficult to grow in England, but it can be done.  England
grew grapes and had a vintning industry until Eleanor of Aquitaine married
Henry II.  This allowed the less expensive French wines to supplant the
English wine industry, which never recovered.

Ales and beers tend to spoil quickly in warm weather.  German brewing was
done primarily in winter until the monks at Munich found they could brew
year round  and keep their barrelled brew longer in the cool caverns under
the monestary.  Wines, with their higher alcohol content, spoil less readily
than brews.  The Iberian climate is quite a bit warmer than northern Europe,
which means wines keep better than beer.

Expense would also be a contributing factor.  Where grapes are cheap, wine
flourishes.

Bear