SC - a chocolate question (beat me later)

Tara Sersen tsersen at nni.com
Tue Feb 8 17:59:20 PST 2000

This may or may not be exactly the one you're looking for... but if it
isn't, make it anyway.  You'll fall on your knees praising the gods of
chocolate.  I do every time I make it.  It isn't a pretty sight, a woman
in her piety...

Flourless Chocolate Cake with Cocolate Glaze (from Bon Appetit magazine)
  Cake
    12 oz bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
    3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    6 large eggs, seperated
    12 tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  Glaze
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    1/2 cup dark corn syrup
    9 oz bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet choclate, finely
chopped

For cake:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter 9" springform pan.
Line bottom with parchment or waxed paper; butter paper.  Wrap outside
of pan with foil.
Stir chocolate and butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until
melted and smooth.  Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm, stirring
often.
With electric mixer, beat egg yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar in large
bowl until mixture is very thick and pale, about 3 minutes.  Fold
lukewarm chocolate mixture into yolk mixture, then fold in vanilla
extract.
Using clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites in another large bowl until
soft peaks form.  Gradually add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, beating
until medium-firm peaks form.  Fold whites into choclate mixture in 3
additions.  Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake cake until top is puffed and cracked and tester inserted into
center comes out with some poist crumbs attached, about 50 minutes.
Cool cake in pan on rack (cake will fall).
Gently press down crusty top to make evenly thick cake. Using small
knife, cut around pan sides to loosen cake.  Remove pan sides.  Place
9-inch diameter tart pan bottom or cardboard round atop cake.  Invert
cake on to tart pan bottom.  Peel off parchment.
For glaze:  Bring cream and corn syrup to simmer in medium saucepan.
Remove from heat.  Add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
Place cake on rack set over baking sheet.  Spread 1/2 cup glaze smoothly
over top and sides of cake.  Freeze until almost set, about 3 minutes.
Pour remaining glaze over cake;  smooth sides and top.  Place cake on
platter.  Chill until glaze is firm, about 1 hour.
Garnish with chocolate shavings or gold-brushed leaves.  Serve at room
temperature.

My notes:  I found that a mix of bittersweet and semisweet chocolate was
best.  All bittersweet was too not-sweet, and all semi-sweet was too
sweet.  Make sure both the yolks and whites are well beaten, because
their fluffyness will make a huge difference in the end product.  I
found the easiest way to handle the cake while glazing it is to put your
cake (on it's cardboard circle or tart pan bottom) on top of an inverted
plate.  I could hold the plate from the bottom and glaze all the way to
the bottom edge easily, and take it in and out of the freezer without
sticking my fingers in the glaze.

Now, I have a question for the food-chemistry people out there.  (I've
been meaning to ask this, and have been too lazy to type in the
recipe...)  I want to make this at Passover.  I need to substitute
something for the corn syrup.  Should a simple syrup of about the same
viscosity work?

Magdalena vander Brugghe