SC - Apicius and Platina

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 8 23:59:45 PST 2000

Adamantius wrote:
>The whole extinct-silphium question is a major part
>of the plot of Lindsey Davis's wonderful ancient-Roman-private-eye novel
>"Two For the Lions".

Ooh, ooh. Now i have to take this out of the library.

Lindsey Davis's novels are great fun, and written by a scholar of the
Ancient World, so they do have some historical elements, even if
Marcus Didius Falco, the hard-boiled Roman gum-shoe who has a soft
creamy center, is, well, unlikely.

I have read, oh, i forget, somewhere between 4 and 6 of Davis's books
and i recommend them to those who like mystery, history, and humor,
nicely blended.

Anahita al-shazhiya

consumes no junk food
consumes junk books
(well, they don't taste like junk to me)
I've also got to read Elizabeth Peters' Victorian Egyptian
archaeologist series...
Oh, and there's even a series with Jane Austen as a sleuth,
oh, an another with Queen Elizabeth I as sleuth,
and...