SC - duck broth/soup

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Feb 9 06:58:36 PST 2000

Stephen,
	It sounds like you will have a nice, rich broth to work with.  After
boiling for some time, however, those bits of duck meat are not going to
be very flavorful, as they will have given most of their all to the
broth.  I would go ahead and strain it, so that you are sure you remove
all of the undesirable bits, and then pick what meat you can out of the
stuff in the strainer.  Set it aside to see how much you really have, and
then taste it to see if you still think it is valuable.  You might want
to reserve it and add it back into your broth once you have used it to
make a soup or sauce.  Consider a soup with wild rice (or a wild rice
blend) carrots (for color, sweetness, and depth of flavor), onions
(perhaps even use the broth as a basis for onion soup), and other hearty
vegetables.  I usually think of duck broth as a very rich flavor, so you
want to think hearty ingredients.  Adding a splash of sherry, red wine,
or some other alcohol might blend the flavors well, too.
	Glad to hear your luncheon went well, I'm sure they appreciated it!
	Good luck on your Duck Soup,
	Christianna

On Wed, 09 Feb 2000 01:13:44 -0600 Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
writes:
> A question from a newbie cook.
>
> This last saturday I roasted two ducks for the Royalty Luncheon I
> did.
> After cutting off the breast meat, other meat and the legs for the
> serving platter I was left with two duck carcasses.
>
> Not wanting to waste them and wanting to try creating a broth using
> them I brought them home. They have been stewing away in my dutch
> oven for several hours now. There was more meat left on the bones
> than I expected. I was originally thinking I would just strain out
> the bones and meat and gristle and leave the broth and freeze that.
>
> However, now I'm thinking it would be a shame to waste all those
> pieces of duck meat. What is the best way to strain out the bones
> and gristle leaving the flesh? While I have just spent some time
> picking out the bones, I may not have gotten all of them and the
> gristle would be particularly difficult to seperate. Ideas? How
> do you all do this?
>
> What would you do to turn this broth/duck meat into a soup? Either
> period or non-period ideas would be appreciated. Would you do
> something
> else other than a soup?
>
> How far would you boil this base down? I've had to keep adding water
> to the pot.
>
> Thanks.
>   Stefan
> --
> Lord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
> Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
> **** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:  http://www.florilegium.org
> ****

> SCA-Cooks".