SC - Response from author of horrible period foods article.

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Wed Feb 9 16:33:18 PST 2000

Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> The following is the response I received from the author, who appears to be
> convinced that she is in the right with this.

> You don't mention what your sources are, but I hope you will find the
> following ones, that I used, interesting:

> For descriptions of peasants in Y1K; particularly the question of (some; not
> all) teeth being worn to stumps see "Ottawa citizen, Dec. 5, 1999 quoting
> University of Alaska-Fairbanks anthropologist, Joel Irish and Memorial
> University of Newfoundland archeologist, Peter Pope.

(slipping on the archaeologist hat for a moment...)

While Irish _is_ a biological anthropologist at UAF, with a focus on
dental bioanthropology, Pope is, from what I can tell of his CV,
entirely a New World, post-16th century archaologist, most concerned
with European settlement in Newfoundland. I gotta find this article and
read it. Odd to quote a New World, post-16th century arch'ist on a Old
World, 11th century question....  And my gut feeling is if Irish is at
UAF, he's more interested in New World archaeology.

Not that I feel the author would listen to a defense in depth to her
article's assertions...

Seumas