SC - Response from author of horrible period foods article.

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Wed Feb 9 17:02:33 PST 2000

The book that Alice Stock used as a reference:

>    "The Year 1000: What Life Was Like at the Turn of the first
>Millennium," Robert Lacey and Danny Danziger, Little, Brown & Co.

was bought for me for a present by my husband, which I subsequently read.

It was so full of mistakes and contradictions it was amazing. I tend to read
mainly in bed (as I don't have much time otherwise), and kept the poor dear
awake with exclamations like "Bl**dy did not","Hah" etc throughout the book.
Some of it was OK, but there was heaps of pandering to the modern "These
people were savages" ideas . A lot of researched statements were embellished
upon until they were barely recognisable.

I suppose that if Ms Stock used this list of books as gospel truth, then on
average she'd get a completely incorrect idea of how people lived. If you
read 4 books, and 3 are incorrect, as a person who doesn't have much
background in the area, you'd think the fourth one was wrong.

Glenda.