SC - Re: New World Food Rant / Counter Rant

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Feb 9 21:20:09 PST 2000

RANDALL DIAMOND wrote:

> However, a lot of expensive and unfamilar 100% pre-New
> World period food gets scraped into the garbage can.  Leave that kind of
> waste to smaller feasts and gathering of persons whose palates and
> interests in new flavors and tastes of period authenticity are more prone
> to appreciate your efforts.   Turkey, potatos and other documentable New
> World foods in common use in the Old World in my estimation are perfectly
> suitable for less thematic feast events where you have to feed a lot of
> hungry people for a limited budget.

Not around here they don't! People I know in An Tir do not go to feasts
to eat turkey and potatoes- we expect something akin to 'medieval food'-
and as pointed out over and over- potatoes and turkey are marginal at
best at the very end of period. Give me a 14th c. pork pie any day!

If comfort food is what you want go to the sign of the Golden Arches.
But my $7 will get me a fine feast of three courses, lots of meat, lots
of variety. I am in the SCA because it is different from what I am
accustomed to- not because I expect the SCA to make me feel 'at home'.

Sorry, but sitting firmly with Ras on this one,

'Lainie