SC - Hazelnuts/Filberts

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Feb 10 18:07:32 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/10/00 6:02:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

<< Old World species is Corylus
 avellana.  New World species is C. americana.

 Bear >>

Correct. Old World species are much tastier, IMO although I would never
recommend growing this species in the States without the precaution of also
planting C. americana also due to the unpredictable occurrence of fruit
setting on C. avellana in my part of the country. Better to have some of the
substandard variety so far as flavor than none at all.

As an added incentive for planting filberts regardless of world
origin....they make a wonderful 'milk' which can be used in
experimental/gourmet cookery that easily rivals almond milk in both quality
and versatility.

Ras

Ras