SC - Parsley

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Feb 13 02:36:56 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Speaking of Plink...I came across a reference which is very puzzling. It is
> generally assumed that Plain leaf parsley is the most accurate plant today
> which represents the closest species to period parsley. The reference
> suggested that Pliny specifically mentioned Curly Leaf Parsley as the better
> parsley. Since I had thought that curly leaf parsley was a relatively modern
> form of parsley, I would appreciate any thoughts about this or translations
> of the Pliny section that this could be referring to.

Could you be any more specific about the reference _your_ reference
provides? Like what book it is in? I just went on a wild goose chase
through Pliny- and realized that a reference about parsley could be in
any of about eight books, from info about garden plants to medicinal
herbs to foods. And since I don't have a translation and would have to
slog through the Latin, it might be nice to know what state to look in,
rather than searching the whole Eastern Seaboard...

Damn Romans. Wrote everything in Latin. }:-(

'Lainie