SC - response to Akim

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sun Feb 13 10:20:35 PST 2000

Let me see if I can express my feelings on the subject of authenticity.
So far as "did they eat (whatever) or a variety of (whatever) " goes, I'm
sure the answer is almost always yes, whether we have evidence that "they"
did or not.
For instance we have exhaustive evidence that Jews and Muslims regard pork as
against their dietary practices, however, I am sure that then, as now, there
were Jews and Muslims who ate pork.
BUT!
There are some foods we KNOW were not available to Europeans until the very
end of our period.
Mordonna The Cook, late 16th century as she is, probably DID know about
potatoes, turkey, capsicum peppers, etc...., but Ann DuBosc (another of my
personnas) came from a wealthy family of the late 13th century, and had no
idea such sishes existed.
She was probably more aware of Apiscian recipes than of any others available
to us at this time.
If I am doing a feast that Ann might have attended, I would include such
dishes as venison (New World or Old) but without potatoes or tomatoes.  Ann
certainly knew about "deer".

Mordonna the Cook,
SunDragon's Western Reaches
Atenveldt