SC - Carrot candy (recipe)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Feb 13 16:26:12 PST 2000

I was pleased with this one.  Simple, tasty, and no candy thermometers
required.

Source: Diego Granado, _Libro del Arte de Cozina_ (Spanish, 1599)
Translation and redaction: Lady Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)

ZANAHORIA RALLADA -- Grated Carrot

You must clean the carrot of its peel, and then wash it, and grate it with
a knife.  And set it to cook in a kettle of water which has first been
brought to a boil, and cook it a little while, and then set it aside and
squeeze it.  And have clarified honey and cast the carrot into it, and let
it cook slowly, until it absorbs the syrup.  And cast in the pinenuts.
And it must be one azumbre of honey to six pounds of carrots, and
when they are cooked cast in a little cinnamon, and ginger.  And cast
them into your box, and if you must decorate it, it must be with pinenuts.

Carrot Candy

1-1/2 pounds carrots (weight after peeling and trimming)
1/2 liter honey (2 cups + 2 tablespoons)
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teasooon ground ginger
up to 1 cup pinenuts (or as desired)

Grate the carrots finely.  Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat.
 Add the carrots, return to a boil, and cook until tender, about 8-10
minutes.  Remove and discard any scum which forms on the surface.
Drain the carrots into a strainer or colander lined with a tea towel or
several layers of cheesecloth.  When it is cool enough to handle,
squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the carrot pulp.

Place the honey in a medium saucepan.  Bring it to a simmer over
medium-low/medium heat.  Add the carrots and mix well.  Simmer
gently, stirring frequently.  Do NOT boil.  In about 20 minutes, the
mixture will begin to thicken and clump together.  At this point, you
should stir constantly.  Cook until the carrots have thoroughly absorbed
the honey, about 30 minutes.

Remove from heat.  Add spices, stirring well.  Mix in pinenuts.  Spread
the mixture as evenly as possible onto a well-greased pan or baking
sheet, about 1/2-inch deep.  To smooth the top, lay a piece of waxed
paper across the candy and stroke gently with a spatula or the back of
a large serving spoon.  Remove waxed paper and allow to cool.  If
desired, decorate the top with pinenuts.

Cut into small squares and store in a tightly-closed container in a single
layer, or with waxed paper between layers.

Notes:

An "azumbre" is a medieval Spanish measurement equivalent to
approximately 2 liters.

I grated the carrots in my Cuisinart by using the shredding disc, then
finely chopping the shreds with the steel blade.  I think the finest side of
a box grater would also work.  And, of course, you can use a knife.

I used a non-stick pan, which made removing the cooked mixture a lot
easier.

I made two batches.  On the second one, I misjudged the lines on my
measuring cup and while trying to pour 1/2 liter of honey, used
something closer to 2-3/4 cups.  The resulting candy was tasty, but a
bit gooey to pick up.  The first batch, with the correct honey-carrot
proportions, produced something firmer.

The pinenuts can be added in whatever quantities are desired/practical.
One cup makes a fairly nut-dense candy, and I think the nut taste
nicely complements the intense honey flavor.  The original recipe does
not specify amount, and using less will not cause problems.  I get
pinenuts at Costco for $8/pound, but if you are limited to those absurdly
expensive little jars, then just use a token amount on top for decoration.

The spices could probably be increased to 1 teaspoon each, for a
stronger flavor.

Candy pieces left out on the counter overnight were a little drier and
firmer the next day.  I do not know yet how long this confection will last,
but I suspect it should keep for a while.  It might eventually become
chewey, like a fruit leather, but my guess is that it would take a long
while to become inedible.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann