SC - To Rant or not To Rant ??? (Long and Rambling)

Christi Rigby christirigby at pcisys.net
Mon Feb 14 11:32:30 PST 2000

His Grace, the Most Honorable and Most Wonderful (;D ) Cariadoc wrote:

No--but it means that we don't know how it was cooked in period. We may be
able to guess, but the more guesswork, the less likely we are to be
right--and there are lots of things out there for which we do have written
recipes that nobody has cooked in recent centuries.
________________________________

What I am surprised to find is there are alot of countries who still cook
alot of things that we no longer cook here, or think of as delicacies.  As I
am studying and talking on my chat on iVillage (Grandmother's Kitchen,
talking about favorite recipes and ways of cooking taught to us by our
ancestors), I am finding foods that I have hardly ever seen served in a
normal kitchen in the US are fairly commonplace in them.  We were discussing
comfort foods the other day and a lady in Japan said she loved her
grandmothers eel stew, and a lady from Wales said she missed the way her
Grandmother made rabbit every weekend.

I guess what I am saying is the things we in North America (including
Canada, but am not sure of their eating habits) consider strange and/or
delicacies are still eaten fairly regularly in other areas.

Murkial