SC - A gift from afar

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Feb 14 22:52:11 PST 2000

Papa Gunthar said:
> Now looking for a good source of armadillo and rattlesnake.

I can't help you with the armadillo, but possibly I can on the
rattlesnake. There is a town just to the east of Austin called
Taylor. Every year they have a rattlesnake festival which includes
speed rattlesnake sacking and other rattlesnake exhibitions. Such
as getting in a sleeping bag and having a dozen rattlesnakes put
in the bag after you. You then must get out, preferably without
getting bitten. They do let spectators become competitors but you
must show proof of medical insurance and sign their waivers.

One of the items they have for sale there is fried rattlesnake. This
was the second time I've had this. The first was at Boy Scout camp.
You might inquire as to whether they would sell you some raw
rattlesnake meat. I imagine, especially at the end of the annual
event, that they would have extra rattlesnake available. They don't
release the snakes back into the wild.

I don't remember when the annual event is, but I think it might be
in early spring. Perhaps a web search might turn up some info or a
call to the Taylor chamber of commerce.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net