SC - Sausages

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Tue Feb 15 14:48:59 PST 2000

We solved the problem of decent sausages for a Principality event recently.

I was determined that lunch on the Sunday was going to be really really
easy.  There were 250 people eating, and it was a war day, so I wanted food
that was easy to cook, easy to hold and easy to eat.   After much
negotiation with my fellow food steward, we agreed sausages and bread seemed
like the perfect solution.

We had a few different options.  We could attempt to hand make that many
sausages (blow that for a game of soldiers) or we could get them
commercially made.  I approached a local sausage manufacturer.  After some
discussion they were quite keen to have a go at some exotic sausages.

Drake and I talked about if for a while and decided that much as we would
like to make the sausages completely from the period recipe, that using the
commercial sausage mince as a base was the best idea.  This was in part due
to the preservatives that are in modern sausage mince, with that much raw
meat around and it being a camping event, we decided that it was a healthier
idea to use the commercial mince.

We experimented one night, using a couple of knobs of sausage mince and my
pan scales for  herbs.   We made little batches of mixture and fried them as
patties.  They were all very good, but eventually we decided on the ones we
would use. Drake then made up packets of the appropriate amounts of herbs
and gave them to the manufacturer

In the end we had three different varieties of sausages which we served with
some great sauces that Drake whipped up.  A highly herbed sausage, a
mace/nutmeggy tasting one and a bitter orange flavoured one.  All three were
scrumptious and very popular with all those at the event.   The cost was
tiny, with the sausages costing us, as I recall, just $3 a kilo (about
$1.50US).

Kiriel