SC - 1894

Wed Feb 16 15:43:04 PST 2000

> The yeast (1 package) should have been dissolved in about 2 Tablespoons of
> water.
>
> ---
> did that, then did it again with the rest of the yeast . . .
> ---

You're making between 1 and 2 pounds of dough.  You should only need about 1
package of yeast.  If the recipe calls for 2 packages put in at different
times, they're worried that you will kill the first batch and want to insure
a rise.

Personally, I would use only 1 package of yeast, but I've been doing this
type of baking for a few years and I know pretty much how to get what I
want.  I would use 2 packages of yeast where I was making large loaves and
wanted to insure a rise.

> The milk should have been warmed, then allowed to cool to below 90 F.
>
> ---
> recipe suggested scalded milk, however, for lack of clean pots, and no way
> clean them, I used warm milk.  (i.e. had been sitting on the table rather
> than
> in the fridge)
> ---

Good enough.  If you are going to keep the rolls around for a few days, you
might want to scald the milk to reduce bacteria and mold spores.  Enriched
breads spoil easier than plain breads.

> Continue adding flour slowly, until the dough begins to ball.
>
> ---
> slowly?  is there any reason for doing that rather than adding it all at
> once,
> always wondered . . .
> ---

When you add flour slowly, it normally blends into the mixture more quickly
and with less working of the dough. This helps reduce gluten formation,
which is a desirable trait in cinnamon rolls.  It also helps prevent small
balls of flour from forming in the dough.

When I'm making bread, I tend to add larger measures of flour faster because
I am working it heavily.

> I will never be using that oven again.
>
> -M

Get an oven thermometer anyway.  After a few years of use, an oven can
easily be 25 F off.  I have a brand new oven which is bang on temp, but I
still put a thermometer in to double check.

Bear