SC - black sausage

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 17 05:36:14 PST 2000

rachel mccormack wrote:

> Lord Stefan li Rous said: <What are "black" sausages?
> Those made with blood?>
> Yep. They're called black pudding in Britain, I can't
> remember the name in French and they're called
> morcilla here. In Burgos in Castille they're made with
> rice, in Murcia with onions and in Valencia with pine
> nuts. They are delicious.
> Rachel McCormack
> Barcelona, Spain.

The French version would be boudin noir, and as with morcilla, there are
numerous local variants, including diverse ingredients such as cream,
apples, onions, raisins and degrees of added filler such as rice,
breadcrumbs, etc. Many French versions have no starchy filler at all, though.

The boudin recipe in Le Menagier is still pretty typical for a French
boudin noir.

The Spanish ones sound lovely, though. Around where I live, unless I go
out of my way to some of the upscale specialty markets such as Bean and
Beluga, a.k.a. Dean and DeLucca, where nearly anything can end up in  a
casing, what I tend to find are British/Irish versions (often pretty
stodgy and industrial with too many breadcrumbs, but not inedible),
German ones which are perfectly fine (and with the added advantage of
being good hot or cold, including straight from the butcher's paper,
sliced with or without mustard), and various Mexican and South American
versions of morcilla which seem to include ground muscle meat and fat in
addition to blood, rice, onions, sometimes raisins or currants, and
often a touch of hot pepper. Any or all of these are excellent with
sauteed, or floured and fried, apple and onion rings. And, of course,
that geat French invention (see earlier post on rolling pins),
machepatetose.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy