SC - Hammer-beaten biscuits

Adler, Chris Chris.Adler at westgroup.com
Thu Feb 17 08:35:39 PST 2000

<< The fact that beaten biscuits are made with a hammer not long after
period would suggest it as a possibility, too. >>

>This is interesting. I occasionally make beaten biscuits but have never had

cause to use a hammer for the beating and folding process. A heavy wooden
spoon has sufficed so far. Do you have anymore information regarding this
'hammer' process'? Thanks in advance.

>Ras

Yes, I've seen pictures of this method. IIRC, it's in the 27-volume
Time-Life set of world cuisine from the 1950s that my mother gave me and
which I have at home. It's in the volume on Southern USA cuisine.

Off the top of my head, it's a method of making baking soda/buttermilk-type
biscuits. Once the butter is cut into the dry ingredients, the cook
repeatedly pounds the dough with a hammer for upwards to a half an hour. The
bizarre photo I recall is of a frail-looking elderly lady with glasses
merrily bashing away at some dough with a humongous hammer.

I've always thought that this would overwork the gluten and thus make the
biscuits tough... but I've since learnt that Southern cooks tend to use
flour with much less gluten and protein than I do in the North, so I guess
it would just thoroughly incorporate the butter. I've personally never tried
this method for my biscuits.

Perhaps Bear or another baker has better information on this than I do?

Toodles, Katja

THL Katja Davidova Orlova Khazarina, GoA,CM,CS,CK,AoA,ORF
Barony of Thescorre, AEthelmearc