SC - Armadillos for Gunthar

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 17 19:21:24 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/17/00 3:19:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com writes:
>
> << the guy who wrote it was asked about buying armadillo for food...  >>
>
> The main problem with armadillo is that they are known carriers of leprosy.
> Of course not all of them carry it but it is a significant danger if an
> animal is not properly handled during cleaning, and cooking. This is from
> memory but that is my take on it.
>
> Ras

I remember reading this too, but not anything scientifically conclusive.
Interestingly enough, Schwabe's "Unmentionable Cuisine" doesn't mention
this, and Schwabe is a veteranarian, so I wonder if the virus (it is a
virus related to the common cold, apparently) is destroyed by fully
cooking the beastie.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy