SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1899 Armadillos for Gunther

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Fri Feb 18 06:06:17 PST 2000

Ras is right, the main reason you don't see armadillo as the next
'high protein, low fat' local cuisine is leprosy. Something about FDA
regulations. Go figure.
Most wild game meats come from game farms. Yes, I hate to say it,
there's a little quandry here for me as an environmental biologist. But,
there are no armadillo ranches for harvesting of roasts, loins, soup
meat, or chops that I know of.
On the other hand they are edible, but do you really want to take the
chance? I would like to have one as a pet, but like baby turtles you got
to be careful. They got that salmonella thing going...
Are there any armadillo festivals in Trimaris, Meridies, or Ansteorra?
That will be the best possible place that I can think of to get
armadillo shishkebabs. Yum!
By the way shining for 'dillos is a lot of fun, so I have been told.
They have a habit of jumping when hit with bright lights, hence so many
road kills in the South.
And for the record, they have been found far north as Missouri now,
and two years ago, we had one discovered in the very far south of
Indiana. They really love to travel.

Seanan