SC - more on Armadillos for Gunther

helen helen at directlink.net
Fri Feb 18 06:40:18 PST 2000

Hi,
    My mom used to work for the Leper colony in South Louisiana. (the worst
environment for a person with that illness)  And the Doctors there looked for a
host for years that they could grow leprosy on so they could study the disease.
They finally found it would grow on the tiny foot pads of the Armadillo and were
able to study them.      Unfortunately the Armadillos escaped all the time.
They can not prove that no armadillo had leprosy before the study, but I believe
the escapees spread it in an otherwise healthy wild population.

Helen