SC - OOP - Sucess!!

Sat Feb 19 10:03:17 PST 2000

Interesting recipe.  You might want to dissolve a pinch of sugar in the
water before adding the yeast to help it along.  No need to stir the yeast
in, just sprinkle it on the water and let it dissolve.  It will sink to the
bottom, then you'll start getting a yeast colored scum on the surface.  This
is called creaming the yeast.  The more active the yeast, the more scum.

The water should be about 90 F.  Above 110 F inhibits activation and begins
killing the yeast.

A teaspoon of yeast is approximately 1 package.  I buy baker's yeast in bulk
from a healthfood store rather than the grocery for anbout 1/3 of the
grocery price.  Baker's supply houses are also a good place to get bulk
yeast (usually sold in 2 lb bags).  Keep your excess yeast in a jar in the
refrigerator.

As for giving away bread, I tend to bake 4 to 8 loaves at a time and spread
the wealth around.

There are four period bread recipes from the European corpus and I believe
you will find all of them in Stefan's Florilegium.  If you can't locate
them, let me know and I'll locate and send you a copy of a previous posting.

Enjoy

Bear