SC - selecting fruits and vegetables

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Feb 19 11:17:33 PST 2000

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Personallament, I prefer the 'sparagus that is 1/2-5/8" thick. It seems
> (IMHO) to have better developed flavor that the pencil stuff. But fatter
> is woody and tends to be dry. Takes all kinds, I suppose.

Yes, but that's kind of what I'm driving at. You can't assume that the
little bitty ones are tender (and they often lack flavor), and the
really thick ones are usually either woody and tough, or at least have
to be pretty extensively peeled. I think the measurements you mention
are about on the money. Of course there may be different varieties with
different characteristics in different markets, different areas.

> I also store it standing upin a shallow dish of water. Does anyone else
> do this?

No, storage usually isn't a problem; they're rarely in the house for
more than a couple of hours. I've heard of people cooking them upright
in a tall pot, like a coffee pot, though.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com