SC - Pork or Boar in the Holy Land

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Feb 20 22:10:57 PST 2000

Wanda Pease wrote:

> 'Lanie,
>
> Yes you do need sleep :->  I was the one pulling for pigs to be indigenous
> to the region, Dan was the one figuring the Franks would have to bring the
> beasties with them!

Yes, I feel crummy today. James was here all of 26 hours and 48 minutes.
How much of it do you think we wasted sleeping? ;-)

My point was the pigs may have been there when the Romans were, which
pre-dates the Franks by a long shot. Whether the Romans brought them, I
don't know. You are right- it wouldn't make much sense to have bans on
pork in Leviticus if there were no pork available. But we still don't
know whether it was indigenous.

By the way, I got both of those liturgy books copied today- one of them
has actual transcriptions/translations ranging from Jewish ceremony, to
Gelasian, Coptic, Byzantine, and through Isidore of Seville and the
_Liber Ordinum_ to Bury St Edmunds, the Sarum Missal, and BCP. Too cool
for words. Some of it fragmentary, but there's still enough of the
material I need. And if I pull this off right, I might be able to
surprise Stefan with some new articles. Or even- HA!- can you see it?
'Father Abelard Speaks' or 'Abelard's Advice for the Lovelorn'. Owww...
if I laugh that hard it hurts.

Sigh. Back to the classifieds... oh- do you remember the copywriting job
I was waiting on last November that the gal in HR drug me out on and
after telling me in mid-month that she'd make a decision the first on
Dec. turned around and mailed me the slim envelope the next day? Well I
guess whoever she hired didn't work out- she's running the same ad
again! HA! I'm not going to apply again. I don't want to work with
someone who would mislead me like that. I felt a little better though.
Guess the Karma ran over her Dogma...

Okay, okay, I'll try to get some sleep soon...

See you later in the week. Wish it was for something happy, and not
another funeral.

'Lainie