SC - Chocolate: An Indian Drinke

Linda Taylor lmt_inpnw at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 21 14:24:28 PST 2000

Waaaaay back on 25 Jan 2000, Christina Nevin wrote:

>Saluti!
>
>I forgot to mention - after the exhibition we went to a workshop entitled
>"Chocolate: from Pod to Palate" by Sara Jayne Stanes (she's just put out a
>book on chocolate for those addicts out there) ;-).
(snip)
>But...(just to prove I'm not completely OOP) I talked to her later and
>asked
>if she knew where I could find some cocoa beans, as I would like to try and
>reproduce some of the recipes in "Chocolate: or, An Indian Drinke." London,
>1652, by Capt. John Wadsworth (the translation of a book by Melchor de
>Lara,
>"Physitian General for the Kingdome of Spaine", 1631).  And she has very
>kindly offered me a pound of her very own stock! So sometime in the next
>couple of months I will hopefully get back to you all with the results.
>
>Al Servizio Vostro, e del Sogno
>Lucretzia

I now find myself studying chocolate history in order to get some real
answers for all the folks around here (and everywhere else, it would seem!)
who are always trying to finesse chocolate into SCA period feasts. I know
that cacao/cocoa was known by the Spanish well before 1600, but I also know
it wasn't in Hershey bar or Chocolate Fudge Decadence, etc. cake form.

I have found what appears to be a superb source for information in a new
book I got this Christmas:
_The True History of Chocolate_
by Sophie D. Coe & Michael D. Coe
Thames & Hudson, 1996, ISBN 0-500-01693-3.

The authors are scholars of Mesoamerican Precolumbian history, and Sophie D.
Coe was a regular contributor to Petit Propos Culinaires, the culinary
journal occasionally referred to in our list. Their aim is to present the
_entire_ history of Cacao and chocolate. The book starts with a chapter on
the biology of the cacao tree itself, and the chemistry of the beans and how
it changes as they are processed. Then we have lengthy chapters on the
Olmecs, the Maya, and the Aztecs, and how each of them used cacao (recently
deciphered hieroglyphs and archaeological finds have been most
illuminating.) Only then do they address the arrival of the Spanish, and the
gradual adoption of cacao by Europeans is treated in full detail. Accounts
are given for the differing ways in which it came into use in different
parts of Europe, how the Church argued about its use, and how it was fit
into current medical theory. They describe the spread of colonial empires,
leading to expanded cultivation in the tropics and use in Europe, often
connected with local politics. The Machine Age leads to new ways of
processing,and chocolate finally becomes a solid confection as well as a
drink. The last chapter brings us into the 1980's and '90's, and the new
concept of "artisan" chocolates.

The authors' credentials and bibliography are impressive, and they present
recent discoveries that add to, refine, and correct previous information.

Oddly enough, one reference they do not mention is "Chocolate, or An Indian
Drinke". I have looked at the text, courtesy of Stefan's Florilegium
(thanks, Stefan!), but the presenter of the piece clearly states that this
is an excerpt. I would like to see the rest of the work, and more extensive
notes on where it was/can be found, so I can use it as documentation. Stefan
or Lucrezia, do you know any more? Anybody else? Also, Lucrezia, I'd be
interested to know the title of Ms Stanes' new book, and I'm eagerly
awaiting the results of your experimentation - sounds like fun!

Morwyn

Morwyn of Wye, O.L.
Barony of Three Mountains, An Tir
(Portland, OR, USA)