SC - SC- Best food for War

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Feb 23 14:56:58 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/22/2000 5:11:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
branneon at crosswinds.net writes:

<< I was just wondering what the best foods to bring to War were, in
everyone's
 opinion. Would dry foods work out best? Did bringing regular food that
 required lots of clean=-up work out well? Any horror stories? Successes? >>

I usually bring a bunch of the various sorts of spices used in period -
cinnamon, nutmeg, saffron, pepper, garlic, relevent dried herbs as well; also
dried pastas, rice, canned beans (could also use dry, I'm just not as
familiar with working with them), canned broths, etc.  I usually bring some
solidly frozen meat to use the first week; ditto fresh vegetables.  After
that you need to make town runs for fresh food.  With the appropriate spices
and broths and such, you can make a fair number of period dishes quite
easily.  Just remember that in most cases you are going to have to haul and
heat water for clean-up, as well as haul the trash out of camp to the
dumpster.  How much of that you're willing to do is up to you.  Of course, if
you are feeding folks, you could make it a condition that *they* do the
clean-up in return for you cooking.
Last year for the SCA-cooks get-together I looked through my stuff and found
all the ingredients for Ryse of Flesche Day  (rice cooked in broth and
seasoned with saffron), so I made it.  This was towards the later end of war,
too.

Brangwayna Morgan