SC - Re: SC- Best food for War

Jennifer Rushman rushmaj at basf-corp.com
Thu Feb 24 06:24:30 PST 2000

 It really depends what your goal is for cooking and eating while at the war.  I
spend quite a bit of time on the field fighting and when I get back the last
thing I really want is to slave over a hot fire for my meal.  I don't have a
'camp stove' so I either ask to borrow someones, do without or start the wood
fire.
     You also have to consider if you want just something to eat, or a medieval/
period dish with all the steps involved.  This may also be your first venture
into 'camping' and you just want to get along.  I'm pretty horrible when it
comes to medieval cooking when I camp. I usually cook for just myself for two
people total.  Becoming part of a 'camp cooking group' usually isn't an option
as I camp with people from far away.  I also find that I don't eat on the same
sched as other people and often am invited to group dinners (baronial dinners,
household dinners, champions dinnners, etc). Wars are a vacation for me and I
can't do it all: fight, cook/clean up, socialize/dance/party all in the same
day.

This is my coping strategy:
Breakfast: fruits, breads, cheeses, olives, butters (honey or herb made up
before and in the cooler)

Lunch:  I usually wander into camp from the field or take it out with me
depending on the sched and weather.  Again simple things to pick up and a carry
similar to breakfast, may include lunch meat too...

Dinner:  There are several good things I like.
     Boiled things:  Instant curry (foil pouch) with rice (not instant)
          Canned soup
                 Spaghetti and sauce, feed maximum people with minimal dishes
                 Stew: Meat is pre-cooked and seasoned with herbs/onion and
garlic, veggies root things and what even looks good in the cooler, maybe some
bullion cubes for salt and richness.

     Cold things: Tabolli salad from the box, with olive oil, lemon juice,
cukes, carrots, and tomato.

     Hot roasted/ cooked over fire:  Sausages (on the grate or sticks)
             Grilled ham in cheese in the sandwich cooker.  These were my fav.
at Pennsic last year, and several people in camp that were really nice to me :)
             Grilled marinaded meats:  Marinate at home then freeze solid.  It
keeps your cooler cold and then it's dinner!
             Foil pouches with meat and veggies to taste (Throw in what looks
good, season and cook until done.  Miminal cleanup and tasty meal.  Can be
easily exapnded, esp for potluck dinners.)

Drinks: Water (go figure)
     Milk (only buy as much as you have space and the stomach for.  Too much
milk on a hot day and I feel really icky.)
     Tea (my caffine fix, cold, hot or ambient temperature)
     Juice (Those concentrates in the aluminum cans are great)
     Sugar-free Kool-aid - Easy to mix and can make camp water taste better