SC - Suggestions for a mushroom dish?

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Thu Feb 24 19:52:01 PST 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Lorix wrote:
> >
> > >Good fortune the list.
> > >
> > >I am compiling my recipes for a feast & have come
> > >across a slight problem.  Attending the feast will
> > >be a couple of people with a variety of food
> > >preferences and/or allergies.  Now I am fine with
> > >most things but I am looking for a protein dish
> > >for a lactose intolerant vegetarian (in this case
> > >meaning no fish or chicken, butter, cheese or
> > >other dairy products).  Now, this basically
> > >precludes pastry dishes too ;-(  In this
> > >particular case, eggs are somewhat of a problem
> > >because it is an animal product . . .
>
> Wait a sec. Why is pastry precluded by any of the above?

Ummm, I didn't go into the other food allergies, just sort of grouped all of the
"no go's" together.  The vegetarian lactose intolerant stuff is the _main_
problem, but I gather there are other problems with wheat & flour - pastry was
advised as a 'problem' ;-)

> You can shorten
> with a variety of fats, ranging from olive oil to vegtetable shortening,
> with good results. I'm just curious; there may a perfectly good reason
> that I can't see.
>
> As for a mushroom dish, it occurs to me that if you're going to produce
> a catch-all vegetarian protein dish for both the total vegetarians and
> those with various allergies and intolerances (while I will cheerfully
> cater to the needs of such people, wusses who simply don't like
> vegetables, etc., can, as my grandma used to say, verblatz) , you might
> be better off with a bean dish, which is probably less likely to cause
> allergic reactions than mushrooms, statistically (I think!). Beans have
> more protein anyway, AFAIK.

Well, I have used (with some success 'cause it all got eaten) a nice period
chickpea recipe (which I found on Master Huen's superlative site), which is good
for protein stuff.  Vegetarians & non vegetarian ate & liked it (& came back for
seconds).

Because it is to be a large feast & I am providing several types of meats (in
various formats: roast, pies, meatballs, etc) I wanted to have a sort of balance
for vegetarians as there appears to be a large number attending.  A mushroom
dish struck me as a nice protein alternative to 'round' things out ;-)

Regards, Lorix