SC - hand-washing and serving high table

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 25 19:36:10 PST 2000

Ras wrote:
>I recall reading somewhere that people were met at the entrance to the hall
>by servants with towels and hand washing bowls as the entered. I don't recall
>the source of the information though. :-(

Do you (or anyone else) know if there is some sort of handwashing
among the Arabs or other Near Easterners?

The Jews certainly do it around the table at Pesach (Passover), by
passing around a pitcher/ewer of water, a large bowl, and a towel.
For those unfamiliar: You put the bowl in front of you and the person
next to you pours the water over your hands, which you rub while the
water is flowing. Afterwards, you're handed a towel. Then it's your
turn for the person next to you on the other side.

I've no idea how old this custom is, but it sure had an old feel to it.

Anyone?

Anahita al-shazhiyya