SC - picky eaters

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 19:51:01 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/25/00 3:00:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tinyzoo at aracnet.com writes:

<< I'm sure many of you will cringe in your seats, or may even explode in
 spontaneous combustion at the idea of this. >>

Not so much cringe. Amused a little, perhaps. I had the privilege of sitting
next to a 7 year old youngster that tried everything served and since it was
their 'gross ' stage of life, the more weird the better. This child pigged
out on everything including kidneys, livers and brains not to mention black
olives and a whole rabbit set before him.

Who woulda thought?

My advice to cooks is to do the best you can with the ingredients and sources
you have available. Leave it up to the feasters to read ingredients lists,
and people with picky children to bring food for them if they won't eat
what's offered. Provide variety so those with allergies will go away feeling
filled and ignore food preferences entirely. It's always worked for me and
always worked in our shire and several around us. People expect period feasts
in our area and are extremely disappointed if they are not provided in
entirety. One doesn't expect any of the arts to waffle and to expect those in
the art of cookery to waffle is absurd and ludicrous to the extreme, IMO.

I serve as close to period feasts as I can and I expect my students to do so.
I also expect any shire that I am attending an event at to do the same. If
they don't, I  get off board space and whip up a mouth watering to die for
feast and serve it to my table while the other feasters look on and  envy
that which they should have had. ;-)

Ras

Ras