SC - soups

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Feb 25 23:56:24 PST 2000

Marian said:
>   I really enjoy cooking but I'm lazy and there is nothing nicer than a
> quick-to-heat, quick-to-store, big thing of soup for this lazy cook.

>   I'm pretty good at soups, I've made chicken broth soups, and noodle soup, and
> mushroom soup, a corned beef and cabbage stew, and 15-bean beef-marrow stew with
> cinammon and ginger.  I've also done experiments using food service sized cans
> of Campbell's condensed as bases and made some other lovely soups.

You might be interested in trying some of the various period soup
recipes that
have been mentioned on this list. I doubt that too many meet your requirements
in your first paragraph but you could fix them and then freeze the leftover
portion for the future, and that should be fairly quick to heat back up.

This file in the FOOD section of my files has most of the period soup recipes
from this list and some from elsewhere:
soup-msg         (104K) 12/ 1/99    Medieval soups. Cooking soups at
events.
                                       recipes.

I've also learned a lot from this next file. If you haven't tried making your
own stock for soup, you might be interested in trying it sometime.
broths-msg        (39K)  1/12/00    Broths in period recipes. Substitutions.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net