SC - Islamic alchohol?

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Mon Feb 28 06:48:39 PST 2000

> Alcohol proscription is only common to certain sects of al-Islam.

I have been reading "the Works and Voyages of John Davis, Navigator".
Last night I have found an interesting reference.
In the 1580's John Davis was navigator for a Flemish boat making a spice run to
the East Indies, and in one of the Malay Kingdoms (Achien), he stated that the
markets have many "Aquavitae stillers, which is made from rice, as their religion
forbids wine" (Quote may not be exact. I will scan the exact text in my copious
spare time)
He goes on to state that the people were "prodigious drinkers of aquavitae"
My question:
How common was this?
Was distilled rice alcohol, or other non grape alcohol, common?
What about beer? or African millet beer? Whiskey?
Do any recipes exist in mohammedan literature? (Cariadoc?)

brandu