SC - Gulf War A&S entry

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Feb 28 09:50:04 PST 2000

> OK, I'm beginning to be just a little concerned about this discussion.  Is
> this going to effect the judging of my stew in the Gulf War Contest?  It's
> VERY period but also VERY good.

A couple of issues to discuss about this. One is something I hope I taught
you a while ago. For a cooking based entry TASTING is one of the last
things I do. I check the documentation, how well does your interpetation
of the recipe match the original. Do you have the original posted? Do
you have a translation of the original? Did you translate the original
yourself?
If you have done things other than what was specified in the original why did
you make that change? Did you attempt to cook the dish in the specified
manner? How close were the tools you used to complete the dish to what
would actually be used?

Then I'll check the display.  Is the dish presented well? On a nice cloth and
in appropriate dishes? Perhaps some other things placed around it to
add to the ambiance (a wine bottle, period dining set, candles, salt cellar,
etc).
Do you have appropriate tasting gear set out? Did you provide a place to
dispose
of the tasting gear?

Now I'll actually look at the dish and taste it. Does it taste good? Is it
overspiced?
Remember that period recipes rarely gave quantities so it is a challenge to the

cook to prepare the dish so it tastes good. You don't have the excuse of
following
the recipe if it is over or underspiced. If you are serving a meal do you have
a good
balance of savory/sweet/soft/crunchy etc... How about color? Is the meal all
brown
goo? If you are basing the meal on humours did you explain them in the
documentation?
If the meal is to be eaten in a specific order, do you have instructions on the
proper
way it is to be served?

These are the things that seperate an A&S presentation from someone following
a recipe. If I were to sample a dish prepared by someone and the only
documentation
they had was a redacted recipe from a cookbook, even if it was wonderful, I
would
give low scores because nothing reflects how well the presenter understands the

food.

This is why you shouldn't worry about Her Highness Trimaris depthcharging your
entry.

The other thing is that Her opinion won't hold much against the Laurels who
will
be the actual judges. You may not get the "Princess' Choice award" but if you
follow these steps you will impress the Laurels that matter. Even if they don't

like period food either.

> Just for example, I think one
> of the best things to happen to period foods in a while was having Gunthar
> on the throne.

Well I at least made it more noticeable but we were already making a lot of
headway before I was elevated. I do hope that my enthusiasm and examples
of some of my feasts and buffets have helped as well. I go to the cooks in the
kingdom and don't snub their non-period feasts but instead talk with them
and blather on about how cool some of the food history is and the neat dishes
I've found and tasted. Most feast cooks who have never done period food
suddenly become excited at the prospects.

And I started this list as one of those "I cook good food. Not Period food."
types.

> Anyone care to comment and make me feel better?

You cooked a stew. Had the proper documentation. Impressed the judges and
the Crown with your work. Enough so that you will be as valuable to the
Ansteorran war effort as the most powerful Duke.

Feel better?

> gwyneth

Yers,

Gunthar