SC - Byzantine Apicius

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Mon Feb 28 11:21:44 PST 2000

Johann von Metten writes:
Forgive me I don't mean to sound pretensious, and if there are others
out there who might say otherwise, Please do so!!
 About using A. in Byzantium/Constaninople, A wrote his book BEFORE the
christian era, New Rome(Byz.,Contple) was a part of the empire from
before our period existed!! Of course they had A.'s works!! Even in his
lifetime anyone who was anyone and had a library, had a copy of A.'s
works, including his cookbook!
 I can't really imagine that A.'s works would NOT have gone to every
corner of the empire, knowing how fond Romans are of their own food!

Now, as far as Irish cooking is concerned, it was never in the
empire,persay, and though it is possible that some high ranking clergy
man might have brought a copy into Ireland, it is improbable to my mind
that it would somehow manage to be served at a viking feast. The Irish
were not really quick to take on new foods from what Romans they knew or
from the later Anglo/Normans. Still, it is possible?!?
Johann