SC - REC: BAID MASUS

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 16:24:29 PST 2000

Well this Trimaris thread has had one positive affect on me:  I've started
looking through my recipes and cookbooks again.
For tonight's supper I made  **Baid Masus** from His Grace's Miscellany.  I
had never made it before.  It was delicious!  A very straight forward recipe
and easy to make.  I didn't have any *mastic* however.  (I hope everyone got
my previous post on mastic - a liquorice flavored sap)  And instead of frying
up the celery in oil, I used cooking spray.  Now here is the recipe:

Baid Masus
al-Baghdadi p. 202/11
Take fresh sesame-oil, place in the saucepan, and boil: then put in celery.
Add a little fine-brayed coriander, cummin and cinnamon, and some mastic;
then pour in vinegar as required, and colour with a little saffron. When
thoroughly boiling, break eggs, and drop in whole: when set, remove.
2 T sesame oil
1/2 lb celery
1/2 T coriander
1 t cumin
1/2 t cinnamon
1/16 t mastic (measured ground)
1 1/2 T vinegar
12 threads saffron
6 eggs
Trim celery and cut into 1/4" bits. Heat oil. Saute celery in oil over
moderate heat for 7 minutes, adding spices just after putting in the celery.
Stir vigorously. Crush saffron into vinegar; pour vinegar into pan with
celery. Immediately crack in whole eggs and let cook, covered, until egg
white is set.
 YIS,
Phillipa Seton