SC - Re: [Trimaris] Highnesses, Lownesses, and Period Cooking.

R.A. Duncan Cusdtom Made Knives Merc Swords merc at radknives.com
Tue Feb 29 12:48:47 PST 2000

 I'm not the one you blasted, but I am one who responded on this
(Trimaris)list about period food. I cook, though not feasts, and both I and
my wife have been known to help out in the kitchen at events, so I have abit
of knowledge on the subject (I've also been a member off and on for some 25
years) I've been to a LOT of feasts over the years, some good some bad, and
some down right disasterous.
 I have also read the replies from the cooks list about the Princesses
request,  and I had no idea that we had so many prima donna chefs in the
SCA. I'm not talking about those who had reasonable replies and suggestions,
just the burger king/ mcdonalds types. Sure the cooks volunteer to bust
their butts to make a decent feast, and others bust their butts doing other
things at events. None of us get paid, and it sometimes costs us extra, but
so what, we knew that before we volunteered. People pay for feast, and as
such they should have the right to suggest that the food be acceptable to
THEIR palates and tastes. Does the word COMPROMISE ring a bell ?
 I'm a Custom Knifemaker, and if I don't make what people want, they won't
buy it. If you make a period feast that less than half of the people in the
hall can choke down, then why should they pay for it ? Just so the cook
doesn't have a snit? I don't think so.
 Neither I nor the Princesss suggested  purely non-period feasts, and
espacially not bugger king, what was suggested was that we be able to enjoy
the food, whether period or not.  I've had excellent feasts both in the
Midrealm and Trimaris, as well as some really bad ones, I prefer the good to
excellent ones.
 If the cooks in Trimaris, or any other Kingdom cannot take abit of
criticism without having fits, then they are probably not as good as they
think, because none of us are perfect(I've blown a few meals over the years
myself).
 In short, lighten up. There are what some eight hundred or so years worth
of recipes from about fifty different nations/cultures, surely a good cook
can find  a few dozen dishes of a less than fiery nature to serve for a few
feasts.

                                Raibhert Donnachaidh aka Duncan the etc.
                                (not the one IN the Dark Horde)