SC - Recipe: Mirrauste de Manzanas

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Tue Feb 29 13:40:08 PST 2000

Someone asked me for this recipe, so I thought I might as well post it to
the list.

Source: Ruperto de Nola, _Libro de Guisados_ (Spanish, 1529)
Translation: Lady Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)

MIRRAUSTE DE MANZANAS -- Mirrauste of Apples

You must take the sweetest apples and peel off their skin, and quarter
them.  And remove the core and the pips, and then set a pot to boil with
as much water as you know will be necessary.  And when the water
boils, cast in the apples and then take well toasted almonds and grind
them well in a mortar.  Dissolve them with the broth from the apples,
and strain them through a woollen cloth with crustless bread soaked in
said apple broth.  And strain everything quite thick, and after straining it
cast in a good deal of ground cinnamon and sugar.  And then send it to
the fire to cook and when the sauce boils remove it from the fire.  And
cast in the apples which remain, well drained of the broth, but see that
the apples should not be scalded, so that you can prepare dishes of
them, and when they are made cast sugar and cinnamon on top.

Notes:

This is a Lenten version of Mirrauste.  The meat day version has no
apples.  It is a sauce made with toasted almonds, broth, bread crumb,
sugar and cinnamon, and is served with roast birds.

De Nola always specifies when almonds are to be blanched, so I
assume that these almonds are not.

I would be inclined to cook the apples in just enough water to cover, so
as to make a more intensely flavorful broth.

The direction not to scald the apples probably means not to overcook
them, so that they will retain their shape and not turn into applemoyle.

Brighid, who has the stomach flu right now, and is not going to
redacting anything more interesting than oatmeal for a while...

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net